Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Swimming for Hot Flashes and Night Sweats



Waking up drenched in your own liquids or suddenly feeling like your head’s been dunked into a bucket of water while chatting to your neighbor is never a pleasant experience, and after a few embarrassing and uncomfortable incidents, I decided to do something about it. And I have found the perfect solution – swimming.
Conventional exercise is good for your overall health, of course, but can often trigger sweats that I am not always in the mood for. When you go swimming, the body is being cooled as it heats up so the overheating effect is somewhat counteracted, hence the reason it’s been featuring in my life a little more lately. I’m a big fan of pools now, so I want to share with you some of the main benefits.

It helps those bones and joints

As we get older, we unfortunately have to start worrying about the declining health of our bones and joints. With no intention of becoming my grandmother, who was riddled with back, joint, and skeletal issues (and spoke about it A LOT), I find swimming to be a great solution. I exercise hard in the water, so I reap all the benefits of being active, but at the same time avoid the damage that vigorous exercise can have on the spine and joints.

It’s actually a better exercise

Swimming and aqua aerobics might seem like a cop-out (and I must admit, it was one of the things that attracted me) but it is anything but! In fact, I feel more exhausted after a good water workout than anything I do on land. Apparently this is because the resistance of the water actually makes the heart rate increase, and so you are getting more bang for your buck, so to speak. The result for me – fewer hot flashes. J
Of course, I can’t attribute my decrease in hot flashes completely to swimming – even if all doctors tell us cardio exercise does help. I have also been taking this herbal supplement, Macafem, which I have found to be helpful. Go through the next link if you want more information on night sweats and hot flashes, or wish to find out a bit more about this supplement.

No comments:

Post a Comment