Thursday, March 12, 2015

Mental Exercises to Conquer Anxiety and Irritability



Lately, I've been feeling a bit down about this whole menopause business. Even though I'm keeping up an exercise routine and eating healthy, the pounds still seem to creep on some days. I don't look as good as did when I was younger, before menopause started and things began to change.

There are a few ways to get out of this rut and keep on truckin'. Just like how physical exercise strengthens the muscles, mental exercises improve emotional control. These positive thought exercises build habits to curb anxious thoughts and improve emotional well-being. There are many different kinds of exercises, as seen here and here, so you just have to find what works for you. Here is what I've been trying this week:

Negative Thought Replacement 

 
A misty morning does not signify a cloudy day

First, you have to identify what thoughts are negative and overly-critical. There are key phrases like "I can't do it" and "I'm a bad ___" that can be identified and transformed into something positive. When you catch yourself in the midst of a negative thought, stop yourself and replace it with a positive one. For example, if your thoughts stray to, "I can't give that presentation, today will be awful," change it to "I've done a good job preparing my presentation, and even if it's not perfect, there are other things to make today a good day." This can be difficult at first, but eventually, it will become a healthy habit.

Journaling

Journaling is a good way to get your thoughts out in a physical and visible form. Try to write in your journal every night before bed and reflect on your day. Instead of dwelling on negative thoughts, like going up a pound on the scale, jot down what went well during the day. Nothing is too small or insignificant – it can be something like "My coworker complimented on my slides afterward, even though I froze for a second during the presentation." Making a list can help you see how numerous the positive things really are.

Also, try writing down what you are grateful for during the day. Like above, nothing is too small to note. Even simple things like "I live in a good neighborhood" are important to acknowledge. Writing in a journal has helped me maintain positive thinking, and putting down worries in a notebook I can then close and forget has helped me sleep better at night.

Anxiety, stress, and irritability are things that have to be broken apart bit by bit to overcome them. It's normal to feel anxious now and again, especially since menopause can be a tough time for us. With positive thinking exercises, you can make a change in your outlook. Good luck, you can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment