Friday, June 12, 2015

Fitness Inspiration from the First Lady



I decided to take a cue from the amazing Michelle Obama and kick my exercise routine up a notch. She's 51, which is right around my age, but even so, she's super healthy and doesn't look a day over 30. Check out her 2-minute video of her workout:




I love how her coach puts an emphasis on variety! It's so important to make sure you stay motivated and don't get bored. That's why I try new activities every week.
If you have Twitter, you can use the feature #GimmeFive to tell Michelle 5 things you're doing to lead a healthier lifestyle.
 
I don't have a twitter, so I'll put my five things here. As you know, menopause has motivated me to exercise to treat menopause symptoms and achieve a healthier lifestyle.

  • 1.       Jump rope – After watching Michelle, I realized that I've been jumping rope wrong all along. No wonder it was such a drag! You have to keep your elbows close to your body and only jump a little. It's a great cardiovascular workout.
  • 2.       Taking the stairs – whenever I have to go to the doctor or another place with multiple floors, I make sure to take the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator. It counts as exercise and is more environmentally friendly.
  • 3.       Aqua Zumba – this is great for getting active and having fun at the same time!
  • 4.       Healthy foods – I've been trying to eat healthier, mainly by eating less meat and more plants. Having soy foods like tofu also helps to reduce menopause symptoms like hot flashes.
  • 5.       Breathing exercises – stress makes everything worse during menopause. My abdominal breathing helps me relax, which also leads to better sleep and less hot flashes!
What are your Gimme Five?

No comments:

Post a Comment